Monday, May 23, 2011

Morgantown, Fairmont, Clarksburg

Today I flew three non-precision approaches. I started with the VOR-A approach to Morgantown, followed by the GPS/RNAV Rwy 23 to Fairmont, and finished with the localizer-only approach into Clarksburg for a landing.

After takeoff from Clarksburg, I turned left and proceeded direct to the Morgantown VOR. My instructor showed me out to set up DME using the plane's GPS. You start by pushing the direct-to button (which looks like a D with an arrow through it) and twisting the knobs to enter MGW, which was the three letter identifier for the VOR. By having DME, I can fly to lower minimums on this particular approach. I then did my three steps, which are:

1. Set up the approach
2. Test the equipment
3. Brief the approach

Even though the approach doesn't require a procedure turn if you're coming from Clarksburg, my instructor told me to do one anyway. So I tracked outbound, did a quick 180 and got established on the final approach course. I followed all my altitude restrictions at the various fixes until finally my instructor told me to go visual and I saw that I was practically right on top of the airport. It was cool.

We then executed a missed approach but instead of flying the published missed approach, we flew directly to the initial approach fix for the GPS approach to Fairmont airport. Since we were already close, it gave me little time to set up the approach in the GPS and do my three steps. The actual approach itself was long. In-between fixes, I had plenty of time to make sure I had everything ready to go.

After flying the approach and going missed, we began getting vectors to the ILS approach for runway 21 into Clarksburg. I had even less time to prepare for this approach. Once I got established on the localizer, I thought that I was going to get to fly the ILS approach, then suddenly my instructor turned off my NAV1 effectively failing my glide slope. So I had to fly the localizer-only approach instead. Upon reaching 1800 feet, I was instructed to go visual. I then proceeded to successfully land the plane.

I did an excellent job on all three approaches. The only thing I messed up was not reading my descent and before-landing checklists before reaching the final approach fixes. I need to develop a way for me to always remember to do those. During my private course, I constantly forgot to start my time on takeoff. So I invented my own acronym which helped me 100%. All I need to do now is come up with an acronym for reaching the final approach fix.

No comments:

Post a Comment