Friday, March 4, 2011

Partial Panel

Today I practiced instrument maneuvers with a partial panel.

But first, I learned how to file an IFR flight plan. I filled out the form, which looks like this:

I then called 1-800-WX-BRIEF which is the universal phone number for Flight Service.

I got on the line with a briefer and read off all the items on the form in order, and he filed my plan into the Air Traffic Control system.

Before takeoff, I called up Clarksburg Ground control and asked for my IFR Clearance. Clearances are often tricky, because they are full of information and read to you very fast. You have to copy it down and then repeat it back word for word. Fortunately, there's an acronym for that:

C leared to (an airport, or intersection)
R oute (Usually as filed, unless they need to reroute me around congestion)
A ltitude I am cleared to
F requency to contact Departure
T ransponder squawk code

Basically this is what I will hear, read as fast as you can read it:
"577SP, you are cleared to TYGAR intersection as filed. Fly runway heading, climb and maintain 3000, expect 5000 after 10 minutes. Departure frequency is 121.15, squawk 5252."

I am then expected to read that back word for word, to assure that I didn't mishear anything.

I filed my plan out to an intersection over Tygart lake. I took off and followed my assigned route to the intersection, where we then canceled IFR and continued on VFR. I did a quick recap of climbs, descents, and steep turns.

I then went partial panel. This means that my instructor covered up some of my instruments, as if they had failed. These failures aren't random- typically they fail in a pattern. For instance, two of the six primary instruments operate on a vacuum. These are the attitude indicator and the heading indicator. So those two instruments will quit working if the vacuum pump fails. This is the most common failure.




So now that I no longer have my attitude and heading indicators, I have to look at the altimeter to see if I am climbing or descending, the turn coordinator to keep the wings level, and the magnetic compass for heading (which is practically unreliable and its amazing we've gotten away with using it so much for navigation).

I had to do climbs, descents, level flight, and airspeed changes all without my two main control instruments. I then got my instruments back and headed out towards Fairmont and tracked the localizer down to the runway.

No comments:

Post a Comment